An unparalleled wilderness setting, complex and committing approaches, and routes from 6-15 pitches in length makes the Black Canyon a truly unique and unforgettable experience for any rock climber. The sheer, awe inspiring walls of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison are perfect for intermediate to expert level climbers and Crested Butte Mountain Guides can offer the added security and safety that comes with hiring a professional guide. A day with CBMG in the Black Canyon is the quintessential, multi-pitch adventure climbing experience.
Located two and half hours from our headquarters in Crested Butte, the Black Canyon is THE climbing destination in the region.
With everything from the classic and introductory to the extreme and desperate, CBMG guides will work with you to select a route appropriate for your goals.
Some of our favorite routes include:
- Maiden Voyage (5.9 III) Clean and classic, THE introductory Black Canyon climb
- Casually Off-Route (5.9 III) With the canyon rim finish, a 10-pitch moderately graded adventure climb
- Leisure Summer (5.9 III) A combination of 2 great routes on the North Chasm View Wall at an enjoyable grade
- Escape Artist (5.10- III) With its head spinning Vector Traverse
- Comic Relief (5.10 III) Splitter crack climbing
- Journey Home (5.10 IV) Steep, and sustained crack climbing. Full-Value for the grade!
- Russian Arete (5.9+ IV) A Layton Kor classic, with awesome position and exposure
- Moveable Stoned Voyage (5.10 IV) An enjoyable adventurous line from river to rim up the North Chasm View Wall
- Scenic Cruise/The Cruise (5.10+ V) Ultra Classic for those climbing solidly at the grade